Tuesday, February 17, 2009

CommonGround

Yeah! Lakeland has another great park and it is the coolest park I have ever seen! Honestly, we drove by almost everyday after picking Landon up from school during the construction and could not wait for it to open. It was designed for kids with varying abilities and disabilities to be able to play together side by side and is one of the first of it's kind. It took four years of fundraising, planning, and construction and was a 1.9 million project. Anyway, it looks like it was worth every penny and the first time we went there were literally hundreds of kids playing. It is a bit overwhelming at first and I definitely do not feel comfortable going by myself with all three kids. Landon and Cameron usually take off in different directions so we definitely have to tag team. There are tunnels and hills to roll down and rock walls to climp and so much more. The first time we went Landon cried when we had to leave. It was a lot to take in and we assured him that we would be back. He doesn't usually cry like that or hasn't in a long time but was able to redirect and express himself with his drawings when we got home. Here are just a few.


3 comments:

Mary said...

Love these pictures. Definitely worth framing.

We have a park like that in Nashville. I don't think it's as big as what you're describing, but it is big enough that I have a hard time keeping track of all of them. My niece Grace who is in a wheel chair has had good times because of the accessibility of the ramps and such. Apparently it was the brainchild of a young girl here in town who had a compassionate heart for kids she saw with special needs. So sweet.

Amy Button said...

How sweet.

I saw the pictures of you guys there on Facebook- I can't wait until we can go too.

Angie said...

Mary~ How fun for Grace! I think I may frame them for their playroom:)

Amy~ yes~ You will have to go! The girls would love it!